The Lesson of the Smile
40 tips to learn The Lesson of the Smile. I’m inventing it all right now as I read ‘40 Tips for a Better Life’ emailed by my good friend Roger Daranciang about an hour ago, and I’m smiling, if only you can see me now! (I’ve edited the original text in some places; the italics are all my smileys.)
1. Take a 10-30-minute walk every day. And while you walk, smile.
2. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day. And while you do, smile.
3. Sleep for 7 hours. After waking up, smile. You’re alive!
4. Live with the 3 E's – Energy, Enthusiasm, and Empathy. It doesn’t take too much energy to smile, does it?
5. Play more games. Smile even if you keep losing.
6. Read more books than you did in 2007. This time choose the ones that make you smile.
7. Make time to practice meditation, yoga, and prayer. They provide us with daily fuel for our busy lives. You can smile even if you don’t do yoga. You can meditate on the smile. You can pray that you don’t lose the power of the smile.
8. Spend time with people over the age of 70 & under the age of 6. Spend time also with yourself practicing your smile.
9. Dream more while you are awake. Smile when you dream, and note that you’ll dream better.
10. Eat more of food that grows on trees and plants and eat less food that is manufactured in plants. And don’t forget to plant a smile on your lips.
11. Drink plenty of water. You can smile after each glass you down. You didn’t drown, did you?
12. Try to make at least three people smile each day. And remember to smile at the members of your family. They’ll be glad you did!
13. Don't waste your precious energy on gossip. Smile at people who gossip and go on your way.
14. Forget issues of the past. Don't remind your partner his/her mistakes of the past. That will ruin your present happiness. Smile if she reminds you anyway – it’s good for her, it’s better for you, it’s best for everybody else.
15. Don't harbor negative thoughts on things you cannot control. Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment. Can’t find anything positive at the present moment? Try and try until you smile.
16. Realize that life is a school and you are here to learn. Problems are simply parts of the curriculum that appear and fade away like algebra class but the lessons you learn will last a lifetime. If I were you, I will study at home and even memorize The Lesson of the Smile. You can share The Lesson of the Smile by printing it out and distributing copies.
17. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a beggar. Give thanks like a beggar and smile like a king.
18. Smile and laugh more often. A smile is priceless to someone you give it to and is precious to you no doubt.
19. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone. Don't hate others. Don’t hate yourself either! Smile at yourself always, even when you make a fool out of yourself. A smile can’t undo things, but smile anyway.
20. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does. One thing to take seriously: Smile.
21. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree. In fact, it’s easier to smile if you don’t argue at all.
22. Make peace with your past so it won't spoil the present. It’s a matter of attitude – to smile is to assume an attitude of gratitude in the midst of a great magnitude of vicissitudes. A smile will spoil the sad present, that’s for sure.
23. Don't compare your life to that of others. You have no idea what their journey is all about. Don't compare your partner with those of others. And remember to smile during your own journey even if the others refuse to.
24. No one is in charge of your happiness except you. And it all begins with just one little timid smile. If you’re out of practice, you can practice smiling in front of a mirror when nobody’s looking.
25. Forgive everyone for everything. If you can’t forgive the first time, and the second, and the third … and seventy times seven times? Smile anyway.
26. What other people think of you is none of your business. Your business is to smile at people, including those who don’t think of you at all!
27. God heals everything. God gave you the gift of a smile; it is the beginning of healing.
28. However good or bad a situation is, it will change. It’s better that you change from smirk to smile.
29. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch. Remember to send a smile if you can’t visit – it will surely touch someone.
30. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful. If you can’t decide which is which, next try a smile or two, and then decide anyway.
31. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need. Except perhaps a smile. A smile is never a waste of time.
32. The best is yet to come. The best is a smile that cannot be erased.
33. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up! Don’t forget to bring along your smile.
34. Do the right thing! Doing a smile is always the right thing.
35. Call your family often. Don’t call them names; call with a smile.
36. Your Innermost is always happy. So, be happy. Smile even if you don’t understand things.
37. Each day give something good to others. Even if it’s only a smile.
38. Don't overdo things. Keep your limits. Don’t forget: Don’t limit your smiles. Remember: You can't overdo a smile.
39. When you wake up in the morning, thank God for it. You don’t have to say it loud; God will accept your smile. He will smile too.
40. Whatever. Smile anyway!
Frank A Hilario 1/2/2009 5:17:37 PM